Wednesday, January 2, 2013

'Drive safe' more than just parting words

One of the last things my wife and I say to each other before we leave home for work and when we leave work for home is this:
Drive safe.
Sherri told me that twice Wednesday evening, the second time calling me as I was heading south on US 301 and had just passed 38th Avenue.
How uncanny.
I  was in the slow lane as I headed toward 51st Avenue.
The light was green. So was the next light at State Road 70.
It's rare you're able to make both lights, so I started to accelerate.
But the light at 51st Avenue turned yellow just then and I had a decision to make.
I was close enough to try to make it, something I had done often.
It's a long enough light.
Instead, I braked and rolled to a  stop.
I'm glad I made that choice.
Halfway across the southbound lane of US 301 walked a man in dark clothing not 20 feet in front of me.
I'd bet money he began to cross the road before the light changed, too.
Either way, he would've been tough to see at 6:30 p.m.
I didn't want to think what might've happened had I tried to beat the yellow light.
Drive safe.
Drive smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment